Thursday, June 30, 2011

Victorine

I finished reading Victorine by Catherine Texier and we discussed it at book club last night. We were at a local restaurant.........2 of the gals had a chocolate shake, it looked like a HUGE chocolate sundae. I may have to try one someday! I had the taco buffet. It was OK, fine with me b/c I am not heavy into tacos.....it did have something different-chicken. Since I love chicken I had to try that...not bad.

OK, back to the book: It was an OK book, I am not sure if I felt that way because it didn't keep me on the edge of my seat or because of the story line. Victorine is a young woman in France in the late 1800's. She marries young and has 2 children but she is unhappy. She's a bit 'ahead of her time' in the fact that she's a school teacher. While her children are preteens she leaves her family in the middle of the day, without any explanation to anyone, to move to Indochina with her lover. After nearly 2 years she returns to her home and family. It just seemed odd to me. The writer moves back and forth between the time she is in Indochina and the present time after she's returned home to France. Some of the gals really liked the book, others not so much.

Have you read it? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. Havent read it. In book club last month we read The World According to Garp. remember that? but it was good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with this book...does the book ever hint at her motivation to up and leave? I could understand being impatient with the story if it doesn't explain that.

    ReplyDelete