Monday, March 23, 2015

The Invention Of Wings

Are you a reader? I am. One of the few good things about last summer was that I was able to sit on the deck and read without feeling guilty. I am sure I'll make time to do that again this summer.  It's still too cold to sit outside...and snow is predicted. (insert very sad face)                                                                                                           
I recently finished reading this book for book club. Several years ago I tried to read THE SECRET LIVES OF BEES by the same author and couldn't get into it.  I really enjoyed this book, the past several nights, when I was so tired, I'd cozy up in my bed and read for an hour or so until my eyes got tired. I still couldn't fall asleep but I did get the book finished. This is an historical fiction book, based on the Grimke sisters, the first women abolitionists who caused quite a stir in the south during the mid 1800's. It's written from the perspective of Sarah Grimke and the slave she was given, Handful. They take turns telling the story so you get to see both viewpoints.


I am sure we'll have some good discussion at book club tomorrow night.... and some good food too! So far everyone I have talked to liked the book.

Now I need to find a new book to read. 

4 comments:

  1. linda, it sleeted here enough that it covered the driveways ..it is going to be slick...I need to force myself to read a book....I used to read all the time. Blessing, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been so busy with my new Bible Study that I haven't done any pleasure novel reading. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really good book! I used to enjoy her writings for Guideposts. I might have to read this one, I have heard of it before!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do much reading but this one sounds interesting.
    You can come by anytime Linda, and have tea with me. Thanks for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete