Thursday, November 3, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird

Today's Friday 56 comes from Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

"Our tacit treaty with Miss Maudie was that we could play on her lawn, eat her scuppernongs if we didn't jump on her arbor, and explore her vast back lot, terms so generous we seldom spoke to her, so careful were we to preserve the delicate balance of our relationship, but Jem and Dill drove me closer to her with their behavior."

Join Freda for The Friday 56 *Grab a book, any book. http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/
*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.

Our book club opted to read a classic for this month. I had not read it nor seen the movie......I am nearly finished and am glad we chose it. I wasn't finished with it when we met Wednesday night so the gals were nice enough not to disclose the ending to me.....although they were surprised with it. One of the women said the movie is her very favorite. I think I'll have to rent it some evening. A couple of people said it was not fast paced enough in the beginning for them....guess it didn't bother me.
After Harper Lee wrote this book she never wrote another book, she started 2 but never completed them.
Book club was fun last night, some of us dressed up. One woman was a witch and we weren't even sure who she was when she appeared at the door, a great costume. Someone made S'mores using the cutest ghost peeps (that's the only way you'll get me to eat them), we also had wine, and apple crisp with whipped cream, along with our usual lively conversation about the book and much more.
Today I am thankful for books and that we can read anything, meet anwhere, and discuss it freely.

8 comments:

  1. This is one of those books where the movie remake didn't disappoint. I loved both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book also. I'm thinking of re-reading it since it has been years since i first read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! And I had never read it before last summer. Don't know why I waited so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which I read for the first time last year. Now I wonder why I waited so long. Great excerpt!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE this book! thanks for reminding me - must reread my classics!

    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.com/2011/11/friday-56-is-for-those-with-big-bums-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe this is one of the best books ever written. I have been reading this book every couple of years since I was 12. Funny thing is that I saw the movie first, that doesn't usually happen to me.

    Harper Lee was a very private woman, her small town has a Harper day every year and she refused to participate.

    Also, she grew up and was good friends with Truman Capote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting an online book club, If you would like to join please follow me at
    jessejasmine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete