Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss!!!

Dr. Seuss was born in 1904 in Mass. I didn't realize his birthday was such a big 'holiday', that is with the younger elementary and preschool children. I did some research online and found out that there is a memorial garden in is honor, looks like a great place to visit if you are in that area.
http://www.catinthehat.org/memorial.htm

The Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden is now open at the Springfield Museums in Springfield, Massachusetts, the city where Theodor Seuss Geisel was born and which appears to have inspired much of his work.

Sculptor Lark Grey Dimond-Cates, who is also Geisel's step-daughter, created the endearing bronze sculptures of Dr. Seuss and his most beloved characters for the Springfield Library & Museums Association, located in the heart of this city which is on the Connecticut River in Western Massachusetts.

I have a few Dr Seuss books in my collection for the grands. I first started buying them (at garage sales and thrift stores) for my autistic niece. But now I will keep them for the grand kids. Now that I am older and (I hope) wiser I realize the value in the silly, rhyming, books that do have a deeper meaning. I can't say that I have a favorite, but do you?


Wednesday was Grandparents day at the school 2 of my grandsons attend. I was lucky enough to be able to get the day off so I could attend. I haven't been able to get to very many of those special days.
Grandson S (2nd grade) reads GREEN EGGS AND HAM while his brother (1st grade) listens intently. Today I figured out why there was a plethora of Dr Seuss books on the table in his classroom.
He made sure to show us the pictures. The teachers certainly do a great job with them.
Me and 'my boys' in the cafeteria. After we had lunch they both got a book and one small item from the book fair. I had forgotten about it but you know how we grandparents like to spoil them.
I enjoyed our time together and hope I keep getting invitations. They talked me into going outside with them for recess (WINDY day). Grandson J said he likes to jump rope so I helped twirl while the kids jumped. Grandson S ran off to play football for a while then he joined us at the jump rope. After recess Grandson J's teacher told her students it was time to go so I said my good byes and went to Grandson S's room to retrieve my purse. His teacher told me he was crying b/c he thought I left. He is VERY sensitive. That made me start to cry. I stayed in his room for about 20 minutes and we each read a book. It was a great day! I wonder if they have Grandparents day the same time every year to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday?
How will you celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment