Friday, January 29, 2016

Don't Underestimate The Power of A Small Cabbage

Cabbage is one of those vegetables that not a lot of people like, I like it though, with lots of butter and salt and pepper on it..............but no salt now. It's good for you! and for a funny story.

My mother used to, and now I, make a cabbage based vegetable soup. I could eat it for days and days. I finally picked up a small head of cabbage the other day. 
Last night I made a baked potato for hubby but I didn't feel like having one so I just had a side of cabbage with my pork chop.  He opted for corn and a potato...no surprise there.
 Now for the not so funny part:

*I have CHF (congestive heart failure).
*Since the dr increased my BP meds I ache when I go to bed at night. My back hurts, my hip bones hurt, I toss and turn and just can not get comfortable. 
*Sometimes I have a dizzy/light headed spell.

As I am thrashing about in bed last night I developed a bad pain in the center of my chest. Indigestion? but I ate dinner 4 hours earlier. Oh no, what if I am having a heart attack....I check to see if I can smile, that's ok. I think, "if I do have a heart attack I am better off just calling 911 than trying to wake hubby who is downstairs, probably asleep with the TV on".

And for the funny part:
I remembered that almost 2 years ago, just before I retired, but had already started chemo, l had such a bad chest pain that Kev  picked me up from work and took me to ER and they ran ALL SORTS of tests for my heart............only for me to figure out that it was gas from the cabbage soup I had the night before. I started burping up a storm and that's when I put 2 & 2 together.
Aha! I forced myself to belch last night and after a few minutes I was starting to feel better.
I still have cabbage left, but at least now I'll know what is going on. And that's my funny story for the week. 
Do you have one?



5 comments:

  1. I love a story with a happy ending. So glad all is well with you. I wonder if Peter Rabbit ever found cabbage to be a problem? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you put two and two together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mary! That had to be scary to wake up in the middle of the night like that! I'm glad you remember about the cabbage and you feel better. I love cabbage soup too. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that is kind of scary!!! Cabbage gives me a gassy stomach when I eat it cooked. However, if I eat coleslaw it doesn't bother me a bit. Weird, huh? Hope you have a wonderful weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete