Thursday, July 31, 2014

Round 2 Chemo/More Blessings

Yesterday I went to a local museum with a friend and as I struck a silly pose she snapped this photo.....turned out great if I don't say so myself. 


I don't look nor feel that good today......I am just beat and can't wait to go to bed.....I am sure tomorrow will be better.

Monday, at 10AM, I started round 2 with 4 new chemo drugs:
Docetaxel, Carboplatin, Trastuzumab, and Pertuzumab.
You walk into the clinic stressed because, even though you've done it before, it's a whole new regime. Blood has to be drawn, the doctor has to be seen, and you're not really sure what's going to happen. After learning (3 weeks ago) that a 3rd drug has been added you find out that on this day a 4th drug is now going to be given also....so you sit in the chemo chair and wait for the insurance company's approval and to be sure your blood tests are good. You anxiously wait; you're nervous, nauseous, and want to be anywhere but in that chair with an IV tube sticking out of your chest. You worry....what if I have a bad reaction to one of the drugs? How is this round of chemo going to affect me? You really don't want all the poison in your body, but what other choice do you have???? You wonder about the long term affects. 
You, you, you.....no, it's really me who is thinking all those thoughts. 
Yes, I was blessed on Monday with a good day, no reactions to any of the new meds. I thank everyone who is praying for me!!!
It was a loooooooooong day, I was in the chemo chair until almost 6PM. My next appointments are at 8AM and instead of the original once a week treatments for 12 weeks my schedule is every 3 weeks for 6 treatments.  I'll finish the chemo in mid November. The nurses in the cancer center are so nice! I even got a DQ Buster bar to make me feel better....it did for a bit. :-)
I felt really good on Tuesday and Wednesday, but today I am beat. I think tomorrow will be better because the dexamethasone will be out of my system.
And the blessings continue:
When I got home on Monday I had a check from a class action suit, not a big check, but it will help.
I had a yummy chocolate, caramel & sea salt candy bar from daughter waiting for me at home.
I found a $20 bill in my little wallet.
The nurse said the cut on my toe is not infected (after walking in the sand and Lake Michigan).
I had a nice surprise visit from the sister of a friend.
I felt good and looked good yesterday when my friend and I went to the museum.
I had a nice phone chat with my step-son tonight.
Tomorrow morning I am going in to work to help with the once a year insurance audit. That will be a little extra money. After work I am shopping for a gift for my soon to be 6 year old granddaughter....yes, we have 2 that are 6.
Next week I have some fun things to do and I expect to be feeling good!

Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. Love your hair! You look beautiful! Prayers for all to go well and be over soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do look beautiful! Prayers and blessings that this passes quicker than the eye can blink and will soon be a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, You look so HAPPY and Healthy in that photo! Love your smile...you are going through so MUCH with the cancer treatments!
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fantastic! Hope all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great photo, Linda! I am amazed at the way you're handling your chemo. You give me such hope. I'll be meeting with the oncologist on August 7 to discuss my treatment plan. I'm worried that I'll have to have chemo. I know I have to have radiation and be on tamoxifen for 10 years, but the chemo scares me to death....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo good that you had such a great day yesterday. I do hope this round of chemo will not make you feel bad. You seem to be coping with chemo better than anybody else I know that has had it. Keep the faith, and positive attitude. I do pray for you each night when I go to bed.
    Sarah Stainback

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy that you didn't have any bad reaction to the new treatments. Hope that it continues on that path until you are completely healed. I am sure that your amazing attitude has a lot to do with it. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow Linda, I lack thankfulness and am therefore miserable. Thanks for reminding me <3

    ReplyDelete