Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thoughts on Thursday

Maybe if I wouldn't sit around thinking so much I'd get something accomplished, eh? I needed to visit my mother and had Monday off so that's the day I chose for a drive.....a circular drive.

The 2 larger cities that I like to shop in are not both on the way to my mom's, but I wanted to stop at Archiver's in Appleton, so I took the long way to my mom's. My granddaughter is getting scrapbooking stuff for Christmas so I picked up a few things there (coupons, ya know). Of course I ended up getting more things than I anticipated and had enough to get a free bag! Yeah! But, NO, that promotion ended on Saturday. DRAT! I checked out the Goodwill store too and found a pair of jeans for my 'getting chubby' grandson. (that is a whole 'nother post) I don't normally drive that route to my home town and there have been considerable changes on the outskirts of town. I didn't take any photos because the colors (trees) are just starting to turn.

It's so much fun to give my mom gifts..........she loves everything. I gave her an embellished zipper sweatshirt and a t-shirt to wear under it.  She put the sweatshirt on and left it on. I had the price tags on yet (in case I needed to return them) and she commented on the $58 sweatshirt. I assured her that I did NOT pay that much, it was on sale and I had a coupon from the 'Goodwill sale'. Sorry mom, but I won't pay that much, even for you. Even though she has been disabled for a l-o-n-g time it's still hard for her to receive from others. I keep telling her that she helped me when I needed it and now it's my turn.

After that I made my biennial, sometimes annual, visit to the cemetery where my father and baby sister are buried. It takes me longer to find the gravestones than the time I spend there. And here's where my Thoughts on Thursday come in.........why, oh why, do people erect such beautiful, expensive head stones? The one that (I hope) I'll remember and will point me to my family's is 4' tall, black granite, polished to a gorgeous shine, with an etching of lovely scenes. I guess they might be so grief stricken by their loss and this is one final way they can express their love? Or are they like me and won't be able to find the gravestone unless it is large? Or am I just jealous because the ones I visit are nondescript and un-decorated? Which reminds me that I should take a steel brush along next time to clean the moss off of my dad's marker.....the bottom of my shoes didn't quite cut it.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment