Saturday, November 21, 2015

Fred Smith's Concrete Park



Concrete Park? What in the heck is a concrete park you might be asking.......that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Fred Smith's concrete park is a unique display of unusual art in a small town in northern Wisconsin. On our way home from our Minocqua visit Carolee and I took a detour so I could show her this display.
"In 1948, at age 62, Price County native Fred Smith began creating what is known today as the Wisconsin Concrete Park. Smith, a lumberjack, tavern owner, farmer, and dance hall musician, created over 230 figures depicting his vision of the local culture and the world. His work is considered by experts to be one of America’s most unique displays of folk art. Smith’s characters came from local legend and personal acquaintances as well as legendary heroes. His most widely recognized statues include Ben Hur, the Lincolns, Sacajawea, and Paul Bunyan."
If you are ever in the Phillips area stop in for a free look!
Twenty-eight years ago I stopped in with my mother and children.
  Yup, this is me....long hair and tiny waist.

Still me.....28 years makes a difference. Short, light hair and a thick waist. By the horse's head again...somethings don't change.
Yes, these are the Budweiser horses.

Up close and personal.









 There are hundreds of various statues made from cement, broken glass, and other pieces of junk. 



 Mere words can not describe this view, so I won't even try. 

Have a great pre-Thanksgiving weekend!!!

5 comments:

  1. Linda, That is so unusual. What ever make someone do that. You sure had some red hair girl. You are still pretty too. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT? I live in WI and I have never even heard of this place. I am going to put it on the list. I bet the grandkids would get a big kick out of it, too. Thanks...and I see you are still wearing blue after all these years! Some things DON'T change! lol Have a great night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT? I live in WI and I have never even heard of this place. I am going to put it on the list. I bet the grandkids would get a big kick out of it, too. Thanks...and I see you are still wearing blue after all these years! Some things DON'T change! lol Have a great night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post. I love the way you "bring it all together" by pulling in the pictures from the other time you were there. Awesome comparison pictures! Your waist isn't much thicker! You are lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Guess what? Phillips is my hometown. :-)) Well done on this post my friend.
    I will be taking a blog break to celebrate Thanksgiving, I will be traveling to Phillips. :-)))
    Happy Turkey Day,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete