Friday, November 29, 2013

My Best Turkey Ever

As promised earlier I did keep turkey day simple. I peeled the potatoes and cooked the turkey Wednesday night. By the time Thursday morning rolled around I was able to do some last minute picking up.

I've heard a lot about brining the turkey and this year I decided to try it. Here's the recipe-

 Chef Jeff's Turkey Brine Recipe:
1 gallon water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup table salt, non-iodized
Mix all ingredients together in a container larger enough to cover the thawed turkey with the brine.  Place in the refrigerator up to 4 days.  Depending on the size of the turkey, you can brine it for 1 day up to 4 days.

I had mine sitting in the garage for 4 days.
That's about the only thing good about having cold weather at Thanksgiving is good for. I cooked it, breast side down, in my Nesco and did not use any other seasonings. It was my best turkey ever, tasty and moist.
Thursday morning I sliced the turkey, added the juices, and warmed it in my small Nesco. That is how I'll be making my turkey from now on!
At one point I almost wished that I had invited more people over for dinner.

 Some my goofy grandkids. They love to play dress up. I have a lot of dresses so now I am on a mission to find some dress up things for the boys. 
The boy in the red sweatshirt is a nephew.
 The only girl who was here is the one in the pink dress.

 Hubby's son with his son, the 'master of disguise'. He's a she in this picture, wearing on of my mom's old wigs and a beautiful bow in his hair. 
 Hubby's daughter with her gray haired 5 year old.....
another of my mom's old wigs. I don't think she'd mind the kids having fun.
 The 'master of disguise' changed his look in the above photo, and as a she below.
I had a really nice day, in-spite of the fact that hubby had a hisssy fit the night before because my kitchen light went out and he had to stop what he was doing and drive 12 miles to get new light bulbs for our old fluorescent light fixture.
It could have only been better if my whole family would have been here.

I could not get to sleep last night, was up until after 3:30, then hubby's friend calls at 8:15AM and wakes me up. I probably could have went back to sleep but I hate wasting my day by sleeping it away.
I went out briefly to the local thrift store, no crowds there.
This afternoon I pulled out the Christmas gifts I've purchased already and picked up the mess that the kids left in the extra was picked up somewhat.....  I ate leftovers and now it's time to relax.

How did you spend Black Friday?

No comments:

Post a Comment