Saturday, September 14, 2013

What I've Been Reading


In The Company Of Secrets was a free book I downloaded onto my Nook. The young kitchen worker is being threatened by the chef and wants to get away. She runs away from England  to America with Lady Charlotte, who is pregnant with a married man's child, who just happens to live in the city they go to. Oliva has a fake letter of recommendation from Lady Charlotte's mother. One lie just leads to another....... This is the first in a series about  the city of Pullman. I enjoyed the book. 


Our Latest book club selection was Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. A couple of the gals did  not finish it or care for it, they thought it was too slow moving and the characters were confusing. If I don't get it I just skim....right or wrong? Don't know, it just works for me. It's set in England. A very proper widow falls in love with a Pakistani shop owner. I found it interesting to read about how the retired widow falls for a woman from a totally different culture, the different struggles each faces...because he is older and very proper, his son is quite a social climber, father and son don't relate well to each other, and of course, how the friends and family of each react to the relationship between the Major and Jasmina. 


The Major also has a dilemma regarding a pair of antique handguns that were his father's. Upon his brothers death the Major was to receive the 2nd gun in the set, but his sister in law seems to be rather greedy and wants to sell the one gun.
I recommend this book. Have you read it? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. Just found you-Us Wisconsin gals gotta stick together. I am your newest follower. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for following! Yes, Wi is my home!!!!

    ReplyDelete