Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A New Way to Tie Dye

I am on vacation this week. Actually I will receive vacation pay from my job but this is no vacation! It is a lot of work, but something that I thoroughly enjoy!!! My 10 year old granddaughter is spending the week with us, she's really no trouble at all.....but....my 8 year old grandson is staying a couple of days here too.They get along good but he can be a bit demanding and I think she gets tired of always being on the go with him.
We've been making memories........or at least I hope they'll have great memories of spending time at grandma's house. 
One of the things we did was tie dying.
When I went to buy some dye (at  Hobby Lobby) I saw spray bottles and thought that would be much easier than dipping the items. The brand was SEI and it was $2.99 for a 2 oz bottle that says it's good for 12 shirts and I saw kits with 3 bottles for $7.99 (cheaper when I used my 40% off coupon). I had been collecting clothing, to dye, for several weeks from thrift stores. 
I watched a youtube video showing how to get various effects but the kids just wanted to lay their items out and spray them. Works for me....if they're happy, I'm happy. You can still scrunch up a t-shirt and spray dye it but you can also use a stencil to add words/letters. HMMMM....
I am now on the lookout for a white tank top to dye red & purple for my Red Hat activities. 
Not only is the dye good for clothing; it can be used on paper, wall paper, wood, any porous items. It's a lot cheaper than the spray mists I buy at the scrapbook store. 


Here are some of their items hung on the deck to dry. My grandson is preparing water balloons in the background....their next activity.



The following day they were outside at 8:15 AM dying more items. 






Showing off. Why can't boys just smile????



 How to use the spray dye?
*wet the article to dye
*scrunch or plan your design
*spray
*let air dry
*heat set in the dryer
Nothing has been washed so I can't report on that yet.

Hopefully I'll find some computer time later in the week. This morning the kids are catching up on their sleep. *SMILING GRANDMA here*


No comments:

Post a Comment