Monday, February 13, 2012

Sensory Overload

Is is just me or are we afraid: to be alone with our thoughts? of the quiet? to be by ourselves? If that's true, what are we afraid of? What are we trying to get away from? Psalm 46:10 says: “...Be still, and know that I am God...” Why can't we just be still?
I know sometimes the devil shows up and tries to take our thoughts captive when we are quiet, but I need time to be quiet, whether it's to listen to God, nature, or just to clear my mind. In the summer hubby has the radio playing while he washes the car, so do many of the neighbors, not me. I must be like my mother, I enjoy some solitude, I can't stand to be around people all of the time. For instance, our grandson stayed overnight Saturday night (in fact I had both boys in the afternoon) and didn't go home until after 2 on Sunday afternoon. After he left I turned off the TV and just listened to the tick, tick, tick of the clock. I really enjoy having him and often keep him all day on Sunday (my choice). Hubby was at work on Sunday, and I had agreed to go to see THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO with a friend on Sunday evening....but the more I thought about it the more I thought that I'd rather stay home.....remember I am an introvert, really! I figured once I got there I 'd enjoy it. I read the book and loved it.

The movie was OK, like the book the first part was rather hard to understand. The friends I was with said they didn't understand the scenes jumping back and forth from the 2 main characters (who were not connected at first). Some of the conversation was hard to understand because of the music and the accent and soft spoken voice of the character Lisbeth Salander. Have you scene it? what did you think of it?

Sometimes I feel overloaded and distracted with noise, activities, and people; when pumping gas the outdoor speakers blast music at me, our remodeled McDonald's has speakers outside right before the pick up window (what is the purpose of that? don't most people have the radio/cd player on or are even talking in the car?), some people have a TV on in their homes whether they are watching it or not, there's the elevator music, music in stores....people always have to have someone around them, someone to talk to, or something to do, etc. We are constantly checking text messages or face book on our smart phones. Me? I have a 'dumb phone-(plain ol' cell phone and 99.9% of the time I don't text). I have the radio on most all of the time at home and at work, mainly for background sound. At home I listen to the local station to keep up to date with what's going on in the the community and I have some talk shows I like to listen to. At work I have the radio on for background noise also. I'm in a small office and am usually alone unless the phone rings or one of the guys comes in.....it can be too quiet otherwise. I tend to keep the volume low at home, work or in the car; at least lower than hubby has 'his' TV.
Maybe my brain is dysfunctional and I can't think as well as the rest of the world, whatever it is....I like my peace and quiet!

2 comments:

  1. in·tro·vert   /n., adj.
    1. a shy person.
    2. Psychology . a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings ( opposed to extrovert).
    Okay, I would say you are definitely NOT shy, and number 2 doesn't apply to you either.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my quiet too and especially relish it during the first hour I'm up in the morning. I have a long commute and often I will drive for an hour without any noise. Don't carry a cellphone and I believe that keeps my life sane.

    ReplyDelete