Friday, January 20, 2012

Ever Heard This?

When I lay down to sleep my mind doesn't shut off quickly....I sometimes think of very weird things. The other night I was thinking of some of the strange sayings my parents use to tell us kids. For instance "Get off your high horse", which was probably most often directed at me. "Dollars to donuts" was used in a (sorta) betting situation. I think we've all heard "Were you born in a barn?", meaning 'shut the door'! Were you ever told to "Wake up and die right"? I think that means to 'get real' or 'take off your rose colored glasses'. One of my mom's favorite sayings was "sometimes you have to bite your tongue" and I think that is excellent advice. We didn't have a lot of money but mom always said that just because a person is poor doesn't mean that they have to be dirty. That's smart and so true advice from her mom.
Do you have any unusual saying from your childhood?




This weekend my 11 year old granddaughter (on the right) and her friend are spending the weekend with us. Yesterday we went shopping, did lunch, and worked on crafts. Today we are visiting a museum and swimming later in the day. There will be more about our adventures in a later post. (you know how hard it is for me to write a post that doesn't included my grandkids).

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think of several sayings. One was "don't let the bed bugs bite." I would lay in bed and imagine that I actually felt them biting me.

    Another was, if your friend jumped off a cliff, would you follow? Always hard to convince kids to do their own thinking and make their own choices.

    ReplyDelete