Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Present Tense

I was listening to Midday Connection on the radio today at noon (as usual) and they were talking about the seasons of life and read this poem. Think about it.....true. huh? Most of the time we are living in the future or the past..... Slow down and enjoy today!

Present Tense

It was spring, but it was summer I wanted,
The warm days, and the great outdoors.
It was summer, but it was fall I wanted,
The colorful leaves, and the cool, dry air.
It was fall, but it was winter I wanted,
The beautiful snow, and the joy of the holiday season.
It was winter, but it was spring I wanted,
The warmth and the blossoming of nature.
I was a child, but it was adulthood I wanted,
The freedom and respect.
I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted,
To be mature, and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged, but it was 20 I wanted,
The youth and the free spirit.
I was retired, but it was middle-age I wanted,
The presence of mind without limitations.
My life was over, and I never got what I wanted.

poem by Jason Lehman who was 14 years old when he wrote it. The poem was sent to Abigail Van Buren, who after verifying that the poet was indeed a teenager wise beyond his years, published it in her February 14, 1989 "Dear Abby" column.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from England, I am awed by that poem...wow. At 51, I don't think I would have been able to put that feeling into such powerful words...

    I've just posted an answer to your Big Shot question on "...craftfairy"'s blog(2nd sept); I'm also a one-platform owner, and I'm also new to blogland, and am not sure of the right ways to answer other crafter's queries...so I hope Lisacraftfairy doesn't mind..
    hope you get on ok with it-/everything! Am off to bed now- midnight here, and WHERE did the time go??!(and years...)
    regards, Cathy

    ReplyDelete